A Newbie In Space...

NetRngr

TAC Member
So I was able to get SC installed... OMG that was a long install! After all the patching, etc., it was late so I just went to bed. Got up the next morning and did what I needed to do around the house and launched, as it were, into the void of space, well not so much but into the expanse of Area 18. Holy crap there are a bazillion keys. Getting used to the whole WSAD movement thing again is weird.
Spent most of the afternoon wandering around the station getting my bearings as to where things are and figuring out how to do certain things on foot. When I signed up I bought the ship pack Gator suggested and a chit for some credits to get started on the right foot along with my monthly sub. Was able to find the shop to buy equipment and procured the following:
Full set of Armor
Upgraded flight suit
Backpack
Multitool with mining attachment
A few each Health and Oxy pens
Attachments for my sidearm (wooo reflex sight)
A sniper rifle (You just knew I had to have one of these Hahaha)
Extra clips for both

Finally figured out you had to take the tram to get to the hangars, so I went over there and after a bit discovered how to take my ship out of storage went to check it out.
One thing I still have to figure out is how to get the Joystick to be recognized as when I tried to use it I was getting unbound messages. Was able to fire up the ship and hover it in the hangar and move it around via the keys and land it without damaging it. Still haven't found how to open the hangar up to get outside yet but that's probably a good thing until I get the joystick working because ... yeah I really suck at flying by keyboard.
Oh and I can eat hotdogs and drink sodas as well. A winnar is me!
Got on discord but no one was in the channel so I dropped it for a bit.
I do like the mobiGlass concept though having all your stuff right there in one spot. This is actually the first game where the actions wheel may be helpful as well. I think I'm gonna see about binding options to the G keys on my keyboard such as med/oxy pens etc just for ease if I need to hit those in hurry.
I think the only thing I did not like was the fact that while my joystick is seen by the game its going to force me to bind everything even though the bindings page shows stuff bound to one already. Could be that I have the Thrustmaster PC/PS one connected and its showing my older Joystick as the one in the game. My try hooking that one up and seeing if it works out of the can as its the same as the one shown in the diagram in game.
All in all pleased with the purchase.

Gator

TAC Member
Stop by Discord and we will teach you all you need to know ...plus some. I really would like to discuss the game with you. I can help you set up the joystick, and yes, there are some changes needed because they have the initial setting set for duel sticks (I only use one)

NetRngr

TAC Member
Stop by Discord and we will teach you all you need to know ...plus some. I really would like to discuss the game with you. I can help you set up the joystick, and yes, there are some changes needed because they have the initial setting set for duel sticks (I only use one)
Definately need to do some work there. The Thrustmaster is a dual design but its more based on flight yoke on one side and throttle on the other. I really would like to use it because it is better designed and my old extreme 3d is suffering. I logged on for a few min last night after digging it out and getting it connected. jetted over to the hangers and pulled out my ship. Strapped in and fired up the ship for some in hangar maneuvering tests and as soon as I strafed up to go into a hover the ship flipped over on me hahaha.
It was then that remembered why I had bought the new HoTAs. The old one has a -30 deg bias to one side. Either the sensor is going out or something has gotten damaged over the years. It was funny as hell I wish I could have recorded my reaction and the subsequent 20 min it took me to get the damned ship flipped back over hahaha.

Gator

TAC Member
If you are having issues with your joystick, try the following:
  • Make sure your joystick is plugged into a primary USB port in the back (do not use the front panel)
  • If using primary USB, and you still have the bios, simply change ports or uninstall and reinstall driver via device manager
I have a Logitiech Extreme 3D Pro mapped already, and users can share their mappings, so let me know if you want to give it another try. I also use the Razer Tartarus V2 for my left hand while primary control with the joystick.

NetRngr

TAC Member
Yeah I noticed you had that flight yoke as well in your setup pic. I do remember I had issues with it in other games as well but I will try that. I had it plugged into a USB hub on the desk so it could have something to do with it. I was gonna ask you to share your mappings for the flight yoke as well. Let me move the plug to a primary tonight and see if the issue resolves. If so I will grab the mappings file from ya. I have a Nostromo for my off hand which is what that was before Razer bought it out. Mine says Belkin on the side hahaha. Old skool Yo! May need to get another of those cause damn those keys are starting to get stiff. 15-20 yrs will do that to ya.

Top Bottom