Couple Builds Shipping Container Home with no Experience

NetRngr

TAC Member
I really do like this Vlog. Very cool concept. I'm actually thinking about doing this but on stilts on our creek property for a hunting/fishing cabin. Between this series and the Homestead Rescue show I've learned a LOT of useful stuff. One thing of note in this video he said his joists are 2 foot on center?? Why would you do that when everything is measured/produced at code specs which is 18" on center. This is why he had to add joist for that fan. I'm guessing that its to save lumber but I dunno, the handful of boards saved not sure its worth any potential issues you may run into.

Gator

TAC Member

NetRngr

TAC Member
Im guessing she's smoking all dolled up cause she's on time just hanging at the homestead.

Gator

TAC Member
Im guessing she's smoking all dolled up cause she's on time just hanging at the homestead.
dumb and dumber laughing GIF

NetRngr

TAC Member
It took a while but I finally figured out what has been bothering me about the inside build. Before going into IT when I got out of the Army, I worked as an electrician's assistant while I was in school. Watching today It finally hit me, he is pulling 12/2 and 14/3 for plugs lights and switches which are correct but he's skinning the sheaths and making up the joints before he has drywall up. This is a no no. You leave the Romex sheath on until after drywall because:
a) Drywall compound is wet and its will be getting inside your boxes.
b) It protects the wiring when you cut your box openings.
c) You want to minimize your chance of hitting live wiring. (esp. with a toddler in the area)
Plugs and switches are supposed to be installed after drywall and paint and while I can see why he would install one or two circuits before drywall it appears that he is making up all the joints pre drywall. While it probably wont cause him much of an issue and he doesn't have to worry with code enforcement he should still stick with codes and industry accepted practices because they exist for a reason. Usually to keep you from harming yourself or others.
His using a 21" on center stud spacing is also a bit troubling as 18" on center is pretty much standard in the US.
/ nitpick

Gator

TAC Member
Supposedly, he researches the web on how to do things on the web, so he must have found that somewhere. I would comment on the YouTube video and let them know. I would be curious about his reasoning.

NetRngr

TAC Member
I may just do that. 110 VAc usually isn't that bad but it stings enough. I had gotten to the point it didn't bother me but when I first started wow did that zing ya hahaha. The stud spacing likewise wont really cause any issues especially inside a metal container but if someone was to come in to do something they may have issues finding the studs right away unless they tell them. The one immediate thing is with the spray in insulation. If they figure the amount needed based on a 18" OC spacing then they wont bring enough foam out unless they mix it on the spot. That stuff is usually premixed and expands when sprayed and is then cut back flush. Stays liquid until its sprayed and is no longer under pressure then poof. Great insulating properties but is like 3 times the work to install and prep for drywall. Same stuff they use to pack electronics or highly breakable items. Put them in a bag, spray a little in the box, put item in box. Spray some more done. Gotta run over that stuff with the truck to break the item inside haha.

Top Bottom